Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Help Wanted in a Historical Search



For over a year now, I've been trying my hardest to trace a certain book I have back to its owners in the 1880's. Trust me when I say I've run out of ideas. I've never talked about it here, but I've posted about it on various genealogy sites and so far I've had no replies. The time has come for me to expand my search in the hopes that somebody, somewhere will be able to help.  Here's a quick rundown:

I have a book called The Beauties of Shakespeare by Rev. William Dodd and inside is written a bunch of names of students who used it. I really want to find out more about them. Altogether there are ten names in the book. Here's what I have so far:

1. Lulu M. Hensley
     -sister of Herman. Parents were J.W. and Elizabeth Hensley. She was born in 1866 in Yates City, IL. She went on to marry William Lind. She is listed on the 1880 census as living in Yates City, IL.
2. Herman J. Hensley
     -brother of Lulu. Parents were J.W. and Elizabeth Hensley. He was born in 1863 in Yates City, IL. He went on to marry Effie/Effa Carter. He is listed on the 1880 census as living in Yates City, IL.
3. Maggie Clancy
     -She was born in October 1862 in Illinois. to James and Ellen Clancy. Her full name was Margaret. She is listed on the 1880 census as living in Yates City, IL.
4. Henry W. Flanegan [sic]
     - He was born in 1863 in Iowa to James and Susan Flanegan. He is listed on the 1880 census as living in Yates City, IL.
5. Pearl*
6. Guy*
7. J.H. Boggess
     - He was born about 1861 in IL. He is listed on the 1880 census as living in Yates City, IL, but not with his family. He is boarding with another family and is listed as being a minister.
8. Ben
9. Bradford
10. Doug Barker
* The two that interest me particularly are Guy and Pearl. They never wrote their last names in the book, but they did write love notes to each other. They're really sweet and I want to find out what happened to them! Pretty much the only clue they left is that they were part of the "class of 1881". At first I assumed they would be from Yates City, IL. as well, but I combed through the 1880 census a million times and didn't find either one. But then there are always middle names and nicknames that weren't listed. Honestly, I'm afraid that I've hit a dead end. 

So, anything that somebody could possibly say or guess about anybody from the book would help me so much! This is probably the most interesting mystery I've come across and I'm desperate to solve it!

Thank you!

P.S. I'm still working on my picture-a-day challenge and I've been keeping up! I just haven't had time to go though and edit them because I've been so busy with Christmas and birthdays. I promise to get them up soon!

P.P.S. I'll also work on taking pictures of the writing in the book so you can see how cool it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment